Tibor de Nagy founded the gallery in 1950 with John Bernard Myers. The gallery distinguished itself as a salon for artists and poets through exhibitions and collaborative publications under the Tibor de Nagy Editions imprint. The current owner is Andrew Arnot, who joined the gallery in 1989 and was mentored by de Nagy. Arnot became an owner in 1993 upon de Nagy’s death.
The gallery has had several different locations, starting on East 53rd Street and later moving to Fifth Avenue and 57th Street, among other locations. In June 2017, the gallery moved to 11 Rivington Street on the Lower East Side.
Tibor de Nagy presents exhibitions of such contemporary artists as Sarah McEneaney, Trevor Winkfield, Susan Jane Walp and Medrie MacPhee as well artists from the Post War Second Generation New York School such as Jane Freilicher and Fairfield Porter, and represents the estates of John Ashbery, Nell Blaine, Joe Brainard, Rudy Burckhardt, Shirley Jaffe, Jess, Louisa Matthiasdottir and Larry Rivers. Over the course of its long history, the gallery has presented the first solo exhibitions of Carl Andre, Helen Frankenthaler, Jane Freilicher, Red Grooms, Grace Hartigan, Alfred Leslie, Fairfield Porter and Larry Rivers. The gallery has a history of fostering collaborations between poets and artists and was the first publisher of the poems by New York School Poets John Ashbery, Frank O'Hara, Kenneth Koch and James Schuyler.
The gallery has presented many significant exhibitions over the last several years. They include Joan Mitchell (2002), Shirley Jaffe (2010), Francis Picabia (2010), Sam Francis (2011), Jane Freilicher (2013), Hannah Wilke (2014), Painters & Poets (2015), an historical survey of the gallery’s history upon its 65th anniversary, Fairfield Porter (2016), Larry Rivers (2017), Jess (2018), Joe Brainard (2019), Rudy Burckhardt (2020) and West Coast Collage and Assemblies (2021).