Procedures for Considering New Members in ADAA
Throughout the year, but by the January Membership Committee meeting, any member of the ADAA can nominate a gallery for consideration by writing a letter to either Lawrence Luhring, Chair of the Membership Committee, or to Linda Blumberg, Executive Director of ADAA. The letter should address the criteria set forth in the “Guidelines of Excellence,” explained below. If the suggestion is made by someone other than a committee member, the Committee will require a completed background information form along with an additional letter of support from another ADAA member.
All Committee members are required to visit and rate potential candidates based on the criteria set forth in the “Guidelines of Excellence.” Galleries outside of New York will be assigned for review to Committee members who regularly visit that city. Candidates will be asked to submit supplementary materials as well as 4 additional letters of support from other ADAA members. Art fair booth presentations are also considered.
Committee meets to review materials and decide whether or not to circulate the candidate to the entire membership for a vote and comments.
Responses to circulated candidates are reviewed by the committee. Determinations made as to whether or not to recommend to the Board for election to membership at the September/October meeting.
Board votes whether or not to approve election of recommended candidates to ADAA. New members are announced with a circulated press release and an announcement in the New York Times.
“Guidelines of Excellence”
- Integrity of business practice and ethical behavior as laid out in the standards and practices document
- Exhibition history / quality of current program / forthcoming programs
- Presentation / installation of exhibitions
- Financial soundness, although financial statements will not be requested
- Scholarship in given field of expertise
- Publications produced by gallery
- Gallery has artists who are represented in important collections or museums or have exhibitions in museums.
- Gallery has been in business for 5 years – Private gallery 8 years
- Member has to feel the new gallery would qualify for the Art Show and would want to exhibit with them in the fair.
For further information on membership in ADAA, please contact email@example.com.